When we reach 40 our body undergoes a series of changes, so we must adapt our diet to obtain the necessary nutrients, as well as our customs, to keep us healthy. Are you about to reach 40 and worry if you should make significant changes in your life? Age should not be an impediment or a reason to take care of your body, although we know that you are no longer all youth and freshness. Just for this, you should always take care of yourself. However, it is necessary to make some adaptations in your diet when you reach 40. After 40, not only is it more difficult to lose weight, but also certain health problems that you must control beginning. Thinking about lending a hand to make it easier for you to control those oscillations, we have prepared a list of the changes you should include. They are simple, so do not worry too much.
5 Changes you Should Make in Your Diet when you Reach 40
1. Increase your Calcium Intake
To begin with, because the production of estrogen decreases when you reach 40, your bones will have more difficulty absorbing calcium from food. The problem with this is that it increases the risk of suffering osteoporosis and fractures that can generate sequelae for the future. Ideally, you consume around 1000 milligrams of calcium per day. Some options to obtain it are:
- Cheeses they contain between 470 and 850 milligrams of calcium in a piece of 100 grams (depending on the type of cheese). Remember that when you include it in your dishes you should avoid adding more fats.
- Almonds they provide 250 milligrams of calcium in 100 grams of almonds. It is important that you do not consume almonds without measure, as they are high in carbohydrates and fats.
- 100 grams of yogurt give you between 127 and 180 milligrams of calcium. When choosing your yogurt, opt for a natural one and as free as possible of sweeteners.
A good alternative is that you make your own yogurt at home. This will allow you to prepare it in different ways and flavors.
2. Eat more Protein
When you reach 40 you should also increase your protein intake, because muscle mass decreases as we grow. This means that you can lose weight without wishing it, leaving room for more fat to accumulate. Therefore, you should include around 30 grams of protein in each meal. The best options are:
- Soja: It contains 37 grams of protein in 100 grams. The ideal would be to consume the grain as such. But if you do not like it or you do not get it, try tofu or milk.
- Pinions: They provide 14 grams of protein per 100 grams. However, avoid consuming so many pine nuts at once, they are high in fat.
- Chicken: We obtain 30 grams of protein per 100 grams of lean chicken without skin. The best way to consume it is in preparations with vegetables and with the minimum possible fat.
3. Reduce your Sodium Intake
Swelling is a common problem when you reach 40 or during menopause. To reduce its frequency and severity, it is a good idea to consume little sodium.
“The easiest way to achieve this is to decrease salt intake”.
In case you have restricted its use when cooking but inflammation remains a problem, check the labels of the products you usually eat. The vast majority contain sodium among its ingredients. Therefore, you should look for healthier options or decrease the portions you consume. Pay special attention on the label of nutritional value. There you can see the amount of sodium that this product contributes per serving and the weight of it.
4. Add more Antioxidants to your Diet
Surely you’ve heard enough about the benefits of antioxidants in your body. When you reach 40 you will begin to experience problems related to aging, such as skin problems and clicks in the joints.
- Green Tea.
- Bitter chocolate.
5. Monitor your Consumption of Vitamin B12
When you reach 40, your body begins to have nervous problems and the production of blood cells. These two situations are reversed with the adequate consumption of vitamin B12. An adult requires about 2.4 micro grams of this vitamin a day and you can get it from dairy, fish and eggs.
Other Changes you Must Make When you Reach 40
In addition to diet, it is important that you improve your lifestyle to ensure that the efforts made in your eating plan are rewarded. The main ones are:
- Make adjustments in your exercise plan so that it adapts to the characteristics of your body. If you have noticed joint problems, opt for softer exercises.
- Perform a medical checkup every 6 months. In case you have always been in good health, you may visit your doctor infrequently. When you reach 40 it is important that you do it more regularly to rule out the appearance of diseases.
- Make exercise frequently. Keep moving as much as you can. It is enough to perform small actions, such as walking a bit to the office or taking the dog for a moment.
Do you already have these habits or do you need to adapt some to your life?